Wednesday, June 27, 2012

a drawer, just a drawer

Today I wait for Sears.  I wait because the door on the drawer is broken off.  Technically, the clip that holds the door of the drawer is broken.  I bought a fridge that has a drawer the width of the fridge.  It is good for storing large items, like sheet cakes, hor d'ourves trays, body parts  pizza boxes??   The door cleverly opens and closes when the drawer is pulled in and out...or NOT!  Sometimes the clip holding the door snaps off.  And so I wait for Sears.

When the clip broke the door fell off and the door broke.  So now I have a broken drawer (clip) and a broken door.  (Ok thats not what happened, I dropped the milk and cracked the drawer door which is not covered in the contract so I lied...sue me!)   I call for repairs.  I call because when we bought the fridge my husband insisted (and I resisted) we buy the 5 years service contract which cost almost as much as the damn fridge.  Sometimes he knows what he is talking about.  (and I hate it)  The girl answered the repair call bright and chipper and  as it turns out she was definately not one of the two.  I repeated the illiteration....the drawer, the door....and she repeated it back to me having to be corrected several times.  The door would be shipped to me directly and I could simply clip it back on....I WOULD IF I HAD A FUNCTIONING CLIP!!!   Ok so the door will be shipped but the service man would have to come to replace the drawer.  I tried to be patient and explain the drawer was not broken, that the clip that holds the door on the drawer is broken but I think two "D" words in once sentence was throwing her. But in the end, she got it right....the door was broken because the draw clip was broken too.  Jeez!  I would have to take off work to wait for the repairman with the replacement drawer clip.  The replacement door came in the mail as Miss Repairgirl had said it would.  So far she is batting 1000.  Good girl!

Yesterday I cleaned the fridge.  (Well at least the parts that would have to be removed to make the repair.)  I found things that had morphed into....well, clearly other things.  I think something that had started out as garlic turned into fossil fuel and a fruit of some kind was now a breeding ground for some new vaccine.  First thing this morning the repairman called to say that his 8am - 12noon window was on target and I was his second call.  It was 8:05....Yay!  And then he spoke some more.  "Do you have the parts?"  Clearly he spoke in the plural.  "Partsssssssss??"  I have a door...just a door.  For my drawer.  The one with the broken clip that you were supposed to have with you according to the suddenly failing Repairgirl.  Nope, no clip.  And to add insult to injury, didn't think he would have it on the truck either.  But he would come and take a look.

The thought that I took off from work for nothing pissed me off, so I decided to call the repair service to see if they had actually gotten the repair order right and the serviceman really did have the part with him.  I actually just needed to complain to someone other than my poor daughters.  The first three attempts at reaching the right party resulted in a dropped call, another dropped call while being transferred to the parts department and a woman who answered, said 'hold on' and simply never  bothered to come back.  At the beginning of the call there is a recorded announcement that the call may be recorded or monitered for quality purposes...clearly these calls should have been monitored in some way...but I am sure weren't.  I finally get through to someone who reads the work order back to me and it seems that the broken clip is mentioned and that the broken door is being shipped.  So far so good.  She transfers me to parts.  Parts tells me there is no mention of a clip, that the only part ordered for this repair has been shipped and it is a drawer door which I can easily attach myself....IF I HAD A FUNCTIONING CLIP GOD DAMN IT!!!

I check the drawer door box just in case the clip has been shipped along with it.  Nope, no clip.  The parts man gives me a customer service address where I can write a letter to complain about the fact that I took off work for nothing.  He seems eager to please me, and even more eager to give me the complaint address and get me off the phone.  Perhaps he knew this call was being recorded or monitored for quality purposes.  It was now 10:03 and no 'part-less' serviceman in sight.  At 11:30 the bell rings.  It takes me almost 10 minutes to get my dog to stop barking in circles and safely out on the back deck before thankfully realizing in time,  that I had no bra on. 

As expected he didnt have the drawer clip.  After much conversation about Maytag and Whirlpool parts numbers he leaves and re-appears from his truck with my drawer clip, installs it (backwards at first) and promptly leaves.  It is 11:50.  Now, with a functioning drawer door I realize they have met their obligation   8am - 12noon  Good Job Sears!

No comments:

Post a Comment