Saturday, November 21, 2009

happy thanksgiving


With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it is with a sense of joy that I lower my head and give thanks for the many people and things in my life. (Ok so that may have been a little theatrical, but you get the point)

I am thankful for my husband of thirty- five years. Thankful for the privilege of cooking him dinner night after night, day after day, year after year, decade after friggin' decade. For the feeling of elation I have washing his work clothes and pride when the filth is gone. For the enjoyment I get when I have to repeat every sentence until he finally hears me. But I am most thankful for the gift of his rhythmic snoring throughout the night. Sometimes I lay awake just listening to him... breathe. And I am thankful to those who have promised me an alibi when I have him killed.

I am thankful for my three wonderful kids who, while they gave it their best shot, did not kill me during their adolescence. I am still thankful for the nights I laid awake waiting to hear they’d made it home alive when they went where they shouldn't have....with someone they shouldn't have. Thankful for the warnings gone unheeded and the resulting broken bones. My most thankful days have been refereeing sibling rivalry, repairing broken hearts and soothing bruised egos. I am so blessed that I am still being woken up to go the emergency room, only this time with grandchildren.

I am thankful that my new doctor is overweight. I don’t feel the need to starve for four days before a check-up and he can appreciate my swollen ankles. His blood pressure is higher than mine and so is his cholesterol. I am no longer told that if I wasn’t overweight I would be healthier. Now when I get a cold or virus I get a prescription without the lecture.

I am thankful to my vet who has figured out why my dog stinks. $354 and he is cured. Well almost and not yet, but we are on the road. He has allergies. You were right Mr. Gore, the greenhouse effect has finally come home to roost…this unseasonably warm weather has made his allergies so bad that he developed a skin condition. (think old men’s elbows and the smell of an old age home) His stinkiness is diminishing, thankfully.

I am thankful for my bosses and co-workers. I see them sixteen hours a week and it feels more like 40. I mean that in a good way. (I think) One is bi-polar, another is deaf, one talks about food all day and one is Irish. (Apologies to my Irish friends and family, but there was just no other way to explain him. Think every stereotypical Irish trait….that’s him!) Then there’s the one that burps (don’t ask), the one that is on Facebook all day, and last but not least the one who gets goat stew from a customer. But what I am most thankful for is that I don’t work on Fridays.

I am thankful for DVR’s. I do not think that I would ever be able to go back to watching TV when it is really on. I zip through commercials and lose track of what day it is since I am watching my Monday shows on Tuesday and on Tuesday I am watching something I DVR’d three weeks ago. I am equally thankful for Thursday nights. It is the best night on TV with Flash Forward, Survivor, Project Runway and so many more. Point, click, record. Thank you.
 
I am thankful for so many other things, I am more blessed than I realize at times.  Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment